16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge —that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
I became familiar with Bob George’s teaching when I found an audio teaching that he did simply titled, ‘The New Covenant’. It’s hands-down one of the best teachings I’ve heard on the subject of the New Covenant, and unfortunately, no longer available. [Update! It's back! Now available at BobGeorge.net - just click HERE or on the embedded link above. Special thanks to the Admin. staff at BobGeorge.net for again making this excellent teaching available!] Bob had a stroke a few years ago and is no longer actively teaching, but as he was a pastor and host of a radio show for many years, there are quite a few audio and some video archives available of his teachings, with more being added over time. I have not listened to/viewed them all, but can recommend his stuff, much of which has been archived at BobGeorge.net. Another great resource is the book, Classic Christianity by Bob George. I have a copy and recommend it highly. Teaching is from the Evangelical stream of faith with a special emphasis on Old/New Covenant issues. Here’s a partial list of the teachings available - most are 45-55 minutes in length, and series descriptions are from the BobGeorge.net site:
Two must-listen teachings:
- The New Covenant Explained – Study notes available HERE. Video version (same teaching, different event) HERE.
- God’s Solution to Man’s Problem – Life! – Study notes available HERE.
- Grace of God
- A Closer Look at the New Covenant Parts 1-31
- Entering God’s Rest Parts 1-3 - If there were only one subject that Bob George could talk about, this would be it. His burning desire is for Christians to understand that we are under a brand-new covenant.While the world points to the birth of Christ as the centerpiece of human history, God looks at the cross of Jesus Christ as the dividing line. Why? Because Christ’s death ushered in a brand-new covenant. In understanding this truth, the Bible will begin to fall into place for you. You will see how this is the “missing key” for many believers. This study is essential to understanding our inheritance in Christ and what it means to experience freedom and abundant life in Christ.
- Romans: Grace For Life Study, Parts 1-28
- Book of John
- Galatians: Lessons 1-10
- The Letter to the Hebrews
- The New Covenant – Hands down one of the best teachings on the New Covenant I’ve heard. About 55 minutes long. With study notes. Highly Recommended. (This teaching is back! Special thanks to the Amin staff at BobGeorge.net for making this excellent teaching available again!)
- 1 John 1:9 - 1 John 1:9 is a staple verse in Law ‘keeping’ sects about how when we confess our sins, He is faithful to forgive us. Who was John talking to in that passage? If God is faithful to forgive us for our sins, why would we keep asking Him to do something He has already done? (See also Forgiveness 8, 1 John 1:9 below).
- Radio With Bob George - Partial archives of Bob George radio appearances at People to People Ministries. Rich in humor, compassion, and uncompromised Biblical truths, these classic broadcasts communicate the love and grace of God and will be a blessing in your life.
There are lots of good audio teachings at Living God Ministries, pastored by Aaron Budjen, a Hebrew Christian who came to Jesus while studying to become a Rabbi. He has compiled an archive of audio files from his radio show at New Covenant Institute. Aaron’s teachings are also from the Evangelical stream of faith. There is a lot there, available at the link above. Most of the teachings linked to below are series that I’ve personally listened to and recommend; some episodes I highly recommend and have so noted. Be sure to check out the New Covenant Institute Audio Links page, as there’s lots more there. Be sure to check out Aaron’s Q & A page. Also from the Evangelical stream of faith with an emphasis on Old/New Covenant issues.
Audio – These audio files are formatted for free downloads and are all less than 30 minutes long :
- Understanding Forgiveness – I’ve listened to this series – several of the episodes more than once. Not only is this foundational teaching on the Gospel and forgiveness, but addresses many of the issues raised in Law/Grace debates. Twelve parts, all about 30 minutes long. Highly Recommended.
Forgiveness 1, Take Sin Seriously
Forgiveness 2, Why Forgiveness is Necessary
Forgiveness 3, The Resistance to Forgiveness
Forgiveness 4, The Freedom of Forgiveness
Forgiveness 5, The Fear of Forgiveness
Forgiveness 6, Antinomianism
Forgiveness 7, License to Sin
Forgiveness 8, 1 John 1:9
Forgiveness 9, Why Confession?
Forgiveness 10, The Lord’s Prayer
Forgiveness 11, Being Forgiven
Forgiveness 12, Forgiving Others
- Atonement and Propitiation Part 1 - Highly Recommended
- Atonement and Propitiation Part 2 - Highly Recommended
- Spiritual Warfare – From Aaron: “When it comes to the subject of Spiritual Warfare, people are normally thinking of it as an opportunity to cast demons out of people and assert their authority over the Devil. People are looking for opportunities to pray in different ways or heal people of their diseases and injuries. These are real circumstances in life and I do recognize that many people encounter and engage our enemy in these ways. However, I sincerely believe that the predominant battle we are engaged in is the battle between the truth and the lie, and the battleground is your mind. Instead of presenting this subject from the traditional point of view, I addressed this subject in the context of law and grace. The series turned out to be 8 programs, recorded on 4 CDs of very hard hitting and strong teaching, exposing the most predominant satanic lie that holds people in bondage. The lie of, ‘if you will only know what is good and evil, you can be like God.’” Highly Recommended.
- The Sabbath Law – The law was a shadow of the reality that has now been revealed in Christ Jesus. In the first part of this series Aaron describes the law of the Sabbath, explaining the requirements of the law. In the second part of this series Aaron explains the reality we live in today in light of what Jesus has done for us. Teaching through Hebrews 3 and 4, Aaron explains the real rest that we as the people of God enter into. Highly Recommended. (Links recently updated.)
Sabbath Law 1 of 6, Introduction
Sabbath Law 2 of 6, The Law
Sabbath Law 3 of 6, Why Try?
Sabbath Law 4 of 6, Criteria for Death
Sabbath Law 5 of 6, Criteria for Life
Sabbath Law 6 of 6, Rest and Work
- Dietary Laws – Why the dietary laws were given and should we be keeping them today:
- Identity In Christ - Highly Recommended within the series:
There are several common strategies, principles and techniques that people have attempted to apply to overcome their sin. None of them have worked. In this series of programs, I aggressively spoke against all of them, explaining the true evil a person expresses when making their attempts. In the end, I explain how the grace of God guides us in a way that we will find ourselves overcoming sin in our life as a side effect of our relationship with our God.
- How Will the Grace of God Guide Us? - This program is the follow-up to the program describing, “What is The Gospel?” Taking things one step further, Aaron gives a clear explanation of what a believer does now that they have been saved. New believers are often taught to pursue a set of rules, laws, a type of lifestyle, or a set of “hedges” around their life to start living for Christ. Revealing how the grace of God will transform our heart and fundamentally who we are, Aaron explains why the grace of God is sufficient for all aspects of our life.
- Series on the Letter to the Hebrews - Highly Recommended within the series:
Hebrews Message 24, Hebrews 6:4-6 Impossible to be Resaved
Hebrews Message 41, Hebrews 10:25 Forsake Assembly
Hebrews Message 42, Hebrews 10:26-27 No Sacrifice for Sins
Hebrews Message 43, Hebrews 10:28-39 Endure
Hebrews Message 44, Hebrews 11:1 What is Faith
Verse by Verse Teaching Through the Book of Galatians - Exhaustive and enlightening study. Highly recommended.
- Jesus the Prophet, Priest, and King – This is a really good series – especially the ‘Jesus the Priest’ section in relation to the Hebrew Roots Movement and their assertion that sacrifices will someday be reinstituted in the Temple. Highly Recommended within the series is the ‘Jesus as Priest’ parts 1-3:
A selection of text articles from Aaron’s Q & A page (be sure to check out the rest!):
Rob Rufus pastors City Church International, a church plant in Hong Kong. From a more Charismatic stream of faith, Rob preaches the Gospel of Grace ‘full preach’. In December of 2012, through a bunny trail I followed from the stats page here at JGIG I came across his teachings, and found myself so refreshed. Rob has been a pastor for over 30 years, having planted several churches. He is in Hong Kong currently, having planted City Church International there several years ago. Rob is more in the charismatic stream, active in the Gifts of the Spirit. That challenges me; I’m no cessationist, but am cautious about such things because of the abuses by some. I can’t say that I’m comfortable with everything he teaches and don’t endorse all those he endorses (not that I’ve heard it all; the archives are extensive, and I can’t possibly check out every name he drops), but the vast majority of what I’ve heard from Rob so far is theologically sound, with a really strong and appropriate emphasis on Old Covenant/New Covenant issues. And if the Spirit of God shows up in the midst of that, well hey, I’m okay with that =o). I have only posted stuff here that I’ve personally listened to. As you listen, keep in mind that in some of these teachings, Rob has a lengthy ‘intro’, partly because many of the audios are from local services or conferences; you’ll know when he gets to the meat of the teaching. Folks, these are powerful teachings that clearly teach the Truths of the Old/New Covenants. If some of you more conservative types can get through the stuff that makes you ‘uncomfortable’, I think you’ll really be built up, equipped (especially in the area of Law and Grace), and blessed. I was =o). Highly Recommended. There are also some teachings from Rob on the Video Resources page. Enjoy! (I’ve included a few teachings here now – adding more as I have time.)
Audio teachings in no particular order - all free downloads; various lengths:
Ryan Rufus, son of Rob, co-ministers with Rob at City Church International in Hong Kong. Ryan gives one of the best presentations of the Gospel I’ve ever heard; it’s very gentle and joyful yet thorough. As with some of Rob’s teachings above, there is translation into Cantonese (CCI has both English speaking and Cantonese speaking folks in their congregation). Rather than finding this to be a distraction, I found it to be 1) a beautiful reminder that the Gospel was given to all tongues and tribes, and 2) I found myself reflecting on and digesting each point that was being made as the translation went on. The audio version of this five-part series is posted here; the video version is posted on the Video Resources page. Guys, the best way to refute HRM or any other false teaching is to have a firm grasp on Who Jesus is, What He came to do, What that actually accomplished, and Who we as believers are in Him. The following series does all of that very gently and clearly. I was very blessed and refreshed and affirmed (and yes, challenged!) in Christ as I listened to the following. Enjoy!
Audio teachings, all free downloads:
The Clear Message of Grace Part 1 – Forgiveness (appx. 50 min.)
The Clear Message of Grace Part 2 – Righteousness (appx. 65 min.)
The Clear Message of Grace Part 3 – Unbroken Access to God (appx. 40 min.)
The Clear Message of Grace Part 4 – No Longer Under the Law (appx. 50 min.)
The Clear Message of Grace Part 5 – A New Nature (appx. 50 min.) – Note: Part 5 may have some language in it regarding the New Nature, referring to the New Nature as the ‘life-force of God’ that may make some uncomfortable. Please understand that the primary audience is in Hong Kong, where this local church is located, and that many of the Chinese folks there have backgrounds in Eastern religions, so that choice of terms resonates with and makes sense to them. I personally would rather that Ryan had emphasized dependence on the Holy Spirit in the last part of the teaching, however I understand the focus that he was bringing with this teaching, and that is this: We are New Creations in Christ. That MEANS something; we were intrinsically changed when we were forgiven of all our sins, filled with the Righteousness of Christ, and sealed with His Holy Spirit. We’re different now. We don’t look at and respond the same way in and to the world as we did before Christ did His Work IN us. While we still struggle with our mind and our flesh in this life, we need to recognize that our spirit is already seated in the heavenlies with Christ according to His Work and according to the Word of God (Ephesians 2:6-7). Overall, this series is excellent, giving a clear presentation of the Gospel and who we who believe in Christ are in Christ. Highly Recommended!
Escape to Reality is a great resource for New Covenant teaching on real-life issues by Paul Ellis. I’ve linked to his site’s archives page, as it has a good drop-down menu listing the articles there. From more of the Charismatic stream of faith with a strong emphasis on Old/New Covenant issues. In blog form, there is lots of discussion there (read the comments!) helpful for hashing out the issues of life in Christ; Law vs. Grace. Paul also has two excellent books available, The Gospel in Ten Words, and The Gospel in Twenty Questions. He also has a good Resource Page with links to articles regarding eternal security. Excellent site with lots of good stuff! Highly Recommended.
Some recommended reading at E2R (in no particular order, and adding more as time permits):
- 3 Reasons Why I Don’t Preach on Repentance (“Turn from Sin”)
- The Test of your Gospel
- Hebrews 6:4-6
- Hebrews 10:26
- What Happens to Christians Who Stray?
- An Open Letter to Hot-Blooded Young Men
- The Wrath of God in the New Covenant
- Forsaking Your First Love: What Was the Ephesians’ Problem? (Rev 2:1-7)
- God Doesn’t Do Half-Jobs: Why Partial Forgiveness Is Completely Bogus
- Confession, Conviction, Confusion!
- Good News!
- The Greatest Law Preacher
- How to Walk After the Flesh in 20 Easy Lessons
- How Does God Deal With Our Sin?
- What if I Disappoint God?
- Is Grace a License to Sin?
- 12 Reasons Why Christians Don’t Need to Confess-to-be-Forgiven
- “Practical Holiness” – Your Fast-Track for Setting Aside Grace…
- What Happens to Unfruitful Branches?
- John 15:6 – Abiding in the Vine
What About ‘Hyper-Grace’???
Over the past year or so (starting in 2013), a manufactured label, ‘Hyper-Grace’, has been made popular and applied to the Gospel of Grace. Personally, I embrace the term, because in my opinion, the Living God coming to Earth as a man to die for our sin and bear the judgement due us, and then to give those who believe the gift of Righteousness and New Life in order to reconcile us to Himself is a pretty Hyper Grace!
That aside, not all believers embrace the term, and many are uncomfortable with the concept of pure Grace. Rather many who mix Law and Grace use the term as a derogatory label, on which they pile false accusations about what the Gospel of Grace is and how those who walk in Grace live their lives.
The major instigator in applying the Hyper-Grace label to Grace-embracing believers is Dr. Michael Brown. You can do a search with his name and ‘Hyper-Grace’ and get a number of video teachings and interviews that he’s done on the subject, as well as an assortment of articles regarding the Hyper-Grace label/concept. Note the ‘tabloidesque’ flavor to his interviews with Sid Roth, and the unbridled discussion about how this ‘hyper-grace’ can lead to the loss of salvation.
Understand that Dr. Brown is a respected theologian, and many take what he says quite seriously. They see him as a credible source sounding a valid alarm - “Christians are seeing Grace as a license to sin!!!”, “Hyper-Grace teachings are leading to ‘grace horror stories!!!’” and the hyperbolic like.
I mention the Arminian bit for this reason: Arminian theology holds to the belief that one can lose their salvation. How do you avoid losing your salvation? By not sinning, of course! How do you keep from sinning? By keeping laws/commandments/rules . . . whatever the circle of like-minded folks you surround yourself with deems appropriate as the Biblical standard.
Many of the resources available on this page refute the ‘Hyper-Grace’ hype, giving a Biblical defense for the Gospel of Grace. Rob Rufus actually recorded a teaching entitled, ‘A Biblical Defense of the Gospel of Grace‘ several years before Dr. Brown made the ‘Hyper-Grace’ label popular. A video version of the teaching can be viewed, as well:
Paul Ellis took the issue head on in “Confronting the Error of Hyper-Grace” – a response to Michael Brown, which garnered a few hundred comments in a good discussion.
When Dr. Brown’s book on ‘Hyper-Grace’ came out, D.R. Silva put together a good resource rebutting the common arguments against Grace. Silva builds a solid defense for the Gospel of Grace in about 68 pages, where Brown’s book spends 304 pages trying to refute the Gospel of Grace.
‘Grace is good, But . . . !’ should have been the title for Dr. Brown’s book! Another good audio by Rob Rufus, which he put together several years ago, is available above with a similar title: Grace is Good – No Buts!
So if someone warns you of the ‘dangers’ of ‘Hyper-Grace’, this whole page has resources to support the Biblical Gospel of Grace, and this section has given you a few specific resources to help you defend the Gospel of Grace with confidence and good humor =o).
BasicGospel.net is also a good resource with a searchable radio archive; you can put in a Bible verse or a topic keyword and radio shows where that verse/issue is addressed will come up.
BasicGospel.net was birthed out of Real Answers Radio program started originally by Bob George (see above). After Bob George’s stroke, Bob Christopher, Bob Davis, and Richard Peifer have done a good job of continuing on with solid teaching, though I do miss Bob George’s content there. Teaching from Basic Gospel is from an Evangelical/cessationist view. While they believe that the Holy Spirit indwells believers, they do not teach that there are manifestations of the Holy Spirit in believers today.
There is a video option available from the weekly fellowship services at Metro Bible Fellowship. From the MBF website: ”A Place to Learn and Grow in God’s Love and Grace. What you hear here may be different. Metro Bible Fellowship has one singular focus – to help people grow in their knowledge of Jesus Christ. There is no program, book, teacher, or church that can substitute for a personal relationship with the living Christ. That is why our passion is to communicate the truth of the New Covenant in practical, applicable teaching from the Word of God. We invite you to join us as we grow together.”
There is also a blog site connected with BasicGospel.net with lots of very well-written, short posts regarding the common questions that arise as one begins to walk in the Gospel of Grace. First Life – Then Change is a good place to get the basics down. Highly Recommended. Here are a few of the topics addressed (in no particular order):
- What Does God Do When You Sin?
- Do You Have Assurance of Salvation?
- What Did You Hear?
- I Can’t Let Go of the Past
- How Many of Your Sins Have Been Forgiven?
- You Can Say “No” to Sin…
- Amazing Stuff That is True of You!
- Can a Christian Have Assurance of Salvation?
- The Gospel that Saves
- Connecting the Dots of Forgiveness and Love
- Seven Reasons to Fully Embrace the New Covenant
- What Commandments Do We Keep?
- First Life, Then Change
- Is it Possible to Misinterpret the Grace of God?
- Six Ideas about Grace that will keep you from Experiencing Grace
- How to be made right with God
- Why does the Bible exist? What is its purpose?
Mike Kapler & Joel Brueseke
From the Growing In Grace website: “Growing in Grace is a weekly podcast featuring casual conversation with Mike Kapler and Joel Brueseke about growing in understanding the gospel and living in the freedom that comes through Jesus Christ.” These are segments of teaching and discussion that are about 15 minutes long that effectively communicate the message of the Gospel of Grace in the midst of churchianity today. Check it out! (More segments added below as time allows.)
For more resources regarding the Hebrew Roots/Messianic movements see the Post Index and the Articles Page. General study helps, discernment, and apologetics sites can be found HERE. Good, foundational studies with a special emphasis on Old Covenant/New Covenant Truths can be found HERE. Make use of the tabs with drop-down menus found at the top of this site – there’s tons of info there, and it’s very navigable.