As there aren’t a lot of these at the moment, these are presented in no particular order, all highly recommended:
I became familiar with Bob George’s teaching when I found an audio teaching that he did simply titled, ‘The New Covenant’. It’s hands-down one of the best teachings I’ve heard on the subject of the New Covenant, and unfortunately, no longer available. [Update! It’s back! Now available at BobGeorge.net – just click HERE or on the embedded link above. Special thanks to the Admin. staff at BobGeorge.net for again making this excellent teaching available!] Bob had a stroke a few years ago and is no longer actively teaching, but as he was a pastor and host of a radio show for many years, there are quite a few audio and some video archives available of his teachings, with more being added over time. I have not listened to/viewed them all, but can recommend his stuff, much of which has been archived at BobGeorge.net. Another great resource is the book, Classic Christianity by Bob George. I have a copy and recommend it highly. Teaching is from the Evangelical stream of faith with a special emphasis on Old/New Covenant issues. Here’s a partial list of the teachings available – most are 45-55 minutes in length, and series descriptions are from the BobGeorge.net site:
- The New Covenant Explained – Study notes available HERE. Video version (same teaching, different event) HERE.
- God’s Solution to Man’s Problem – Life! – Study notes available HERE.
- The Law’s Purpose – Less than 10 minutes; highly recommended.
- Who Am I?
- Who Do You Say I Am?
In December of 2012, through a bunny trail I followed from the stats page here at JGIG I came across the teaching of Rob Rufus. What a treat! Rob has been a pastor for over 30 years, having planted several churches. He is in Hong Kong currently, having planted a church there several years ago. I started listening to selected teachings from the archives and found myself to be sooooo refreshed. Refreshed and affirmed. God was confirming to me so many things about the Gospel that I had learned over the past several years of intensively studying Old and New Covenant issues. Rob is more in the charismatic stream, active in the Gifts of the Spirit. That challenges me; I’m no cessationist, but am cautious about such things because of the abuses by some. I can’t say that I’m comfortable with everything he teaches (not that I’ve heard it all; the archives are extensive), but the vast majority of what I’ve heard so far is theologically sound, with a really strong and appropriate emphasis on Old Covenant/New Covenant issues. This guy preaches the Gospel ‘full preach’ =o). And if the Spirit of God shows up in the midst of that, well hey, I’m okay with that =o). Folks, these are powerful teachings that clearly teach the Truths of the Old/New Covenants. Enjoy!
- Can You Lose Your Salvation? Part 1 – Rob Rufus
- Can You Lose Your Salvation? Part 2 – Rob Rufus
- Can You Lose Your Salvation? Part 3 – Rob Rufus
(Full audio version, Parts 1-3 available for download HERE)
- A Biblical Defense of the Gospel of Grace Part A – Rob Rufus
- A Biblical Defense of the Gospel of Grace Part B – Rob Rufus
(Full audio version, Parts 1-2 available for download HERE)
Ryan Rufus, son of Rob, co-ministers with Rob at City Church International in Hong Kong. Ryan gives one of the best presentations of the Gospel I’ve ever heard; it’s very gentle and joyful yet thorough. As with some of Rob’s teachings above, there is translation into Cantonese (CCI has both English speaking and Cantonese speaking folks in their congregation). Rather than finding this to be a distraction, I found it to be 1) a beautiful reminder that the Gospel was given to all tongues and tribes, and 2) I found myself reflecting on and digesting each point that was being made as the translation went on. The video version of this five-part series is posted here; the audio version is posted on the Audio/Text Resources page. Guys, the best way to refute HRM or any other false teaching is to have a firm grasp on Who Jesus is, What He came to do, What that actually accomplished, and Who we as believers are in Him. The following series does all of that very gently and clearly. I was very blessed and refreshed and affirmed (and yes, challenged!) in Christ as I listened to the following. Enjoy!
- The Clear Message of Grace Part 1 – Forgiveness
- The Clear Message of Grace Part 2 – Righteousness
- The Clear Message of Grace Part 3 – Unbroken Access to God
- The Clear Message of Grace Part 4 – No Longer Under the Law
- The Clear Message of Grace Part 5 – A New Nature
- The New Covenant – Bob George – Highly Recommended.
- The Need for the Gospel – Always! – Tullian Tchividjian, highly recommended.
- Legalistic Teachings Refuted
- Council of Nicaea Myth Debunked
- Can You Trust the Bible Historically? – Is it a Game of Telephone? – What about the Gnostic Gospels?
- Sacred Name Movement Debunked
- The Good-O-Meter
- Super Final Debunking – A good resource regarding what debunking is, what is appropriate, and some common-sense tips on the process:
- Joyfully Growing In Grace Introduction
- Hebrew Roots Movement and the Root Word Fallacy Episode 1
- The Bereans
- Forever and the Hebrew Roots Movement
- JGIG’s YouTube Channel
For more resources regarding the Hebrew Roots/Messianic movements see the Post Index and the Articles Page. General study helps, discernment, and apologetics sites can be found HERE.
Other articles of interest:
- The Law of Christ – Defined and Defended
- Hebrew Roots Movement – Salesmanship 101
- Romans 14: Indisputable Matters – Torah or the Gospel?
- Hebrew Roots Movement – The Issue of “Hellenization”
- Is Law Really Law Without Enforcement?
- Hebrew Roots Movement – New Covenant or “Renewed” Covenant?
- Tzit Tzit For the Believer In Christ?
- 12 Undeniable Truths That Drive Law ‘Keepers’ Crazy
- Old Testament Believers and New Testament Christians – From the Articles Page – Addresses the issue of how OT saints were ‘saved’ vs. how NT saints are saved, i.e. what salvation meant and how it was obtained before and after the actual work of Christ on the timeline. It clarifies several points that we see Law keepers bring up in debate over and over again as they misapply the phrase from Scripture, “the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world” and couple that with the claim that the Church (ekklesia, Body of Christ) also existed in the Old Testament. It did not, and this article clarifies the difference between OT believers and NT Christians. Excellent study. Highly recommended.
- Testimonies Page – Read the stories of those who had bound themselves to the Law and then been freed as they began to understand who they are in Christ!